Saturday, March 2, 2013

Riverside Arts Market

I am continually trying to find dog-friendly places to take Roxy and Jedi. Today we visited the Riverside Arts Market. I have mixed feelings about the trip.

What I liked:
  • The market is very dog-friendly. There were many dogs there, and several dog-oriented vendors.
  • LOTS of taste-testing. mmmm . . .
  • Flushing toilets! I was afraid there would be Porta Potties.
  • Street musicians. There are areas where different musicians set up. The Navy Jazz band was on the big stage this morning. I could have sat and listened to them for hours.
  • The atmosphere is very laid-back.
  • People! Most everyone was very friendly. I even ran into a family (and their dog) that I hadn't seen in over a year. If you're reading this, "HI KIM!"
What I didn't like:
  • It was colder than I would have liked. The strong breeze off the river cut right through my jacket. (However, I bet it would be really nice in the summer!)
  • It was crowded. Today was the first market of the season (it's closed during the winter) so that may have been a factor.
  • Parking sucked (see above). And if you go, beware of idiot drivers. Jedi and I nearly got hit by a guy in a Mercedes with dealer tags. He was driving with one hand and talking on his cell with the other, totally oblivious to pedestrians. Yeah, I calling you out Asshole! 
  • Hubby's attitude. Many of the patrons were too "yuppie" or "new age" for him, and he grumbled about it the entire time.
The dogs attracted a lot of attention -- probably because they're gorgeous! However, I think it was a little overwhelming for them. Roxy was wearing her prong collar, which helped with her pulling. But about 45 minutes in, Jedi forgot all his training and began pulling like crazy. At 52 pounds he can do a lot of pulling. So between Hubby and the dogs I didn't get to explore the market as much as I would have liked.

So here's the plan: Jedi and I are going to work harder on loose lead training. Obviously I need to add more distractions. Then in a couple months -- when it's warmer -- Jedi and I will return to the market without Hubby. Anyone wanna join us? -- K

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like an interesting place, for both dogs and humans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to go with you and Jedi next time. But, it is a little far for me to come for the day. As to your wonderful 'hubby' the trick is to find something he likes to do or see and do it first. After a little while he will be glad to do and see what you want. It works all the time with Gene :-) . Where are pics of the dogs at the market?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a great place but maybe all the smells and hustle and bustle would over excite. Lovely to keep trying to find dog friendly places. Have a super Sunday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to go shopping with you and th dogs. Do you think they would enjoy a quilt shop?

    ReplyDelete