Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Jedi's Dog Park Experience

I took Jedi to the dog park. A big retention pond sits in the middle of the park. There was a tennis ball floating in the pond. He likes tennis balls but wasn't sure about all that water. He'd never been in anything bigger than the child's wading pool we use to bathe him. He thought about it, but decided he didn't want the tennis ball after all. He spent the next 20 minutes sniffing every tree in the park. BTW, there are a lot of trees in the park.




I was ready to leave when Ginger showed up. Ginger is a beautiful 3 year old Belgian Tervuren. At first Jedi barked at her with his hackles up. (When did he become such an ass?) Ginger thought he was being an ass too and stayed away. Ginger's owner and I chatted for a while then I remembered I had cookies in my pocket. I yelled "Who wants a cookie?" Both dogs came running! Ginger and Jedi both love cookies and became instant friends. They chased each other around the park so fast that I couldn't get any decent pictures.




One of Ginger's favorite things to do at the dog park is swim in the pond. "Come on in" she seemed to bark at Jedi. He acted like he wasn't sure. Suddenly he jumped in -- jumped! Ginger's owner laughed and asked "Does Jedi know how to swim?" Oh shit!




Jedi gave me a panicked look. I handed my cell phone to Ginger's owner and ran to the water. Fortunately he realized he could dog paddle and made it back to the shore. Then he shook that nasty pond water all over me. Thanks buddy!




Jedi was worn out from all the running and swimming. He ended up sleeping for the rest of the day. (Only to be wide awake and ready to play just as the new episode of Game of Thrones came on -- thank Comcast for On Demand!)




What I learned today:
  • Jedi needs to meet more unfamiliar dogs. Apparently play dates with his siblings and weekly puppy classes aren't cutting it.
  • I don't want my dog to be an ass.
  • Jedi CAN swim.
  • I should always keep cookies in the pockets and towels in the car.
  • I should also have a Kong stuffed and ready to go on Game of Thrones night.
Life is better with a dog! -- K










1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great day for Jedi. Meeting unfamiliar dogs as much as possible will help Jedi be relaxed and less defensive. Have a wonderful Wednesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete