Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2014 Resolutions for Me & the Dogs

I used the same picture last year; I STILL can't get
my dogs to wear a party hat.
It’s New Year’s Eve!

Last year I wrote a post containing New Year's Resolutions for me and the dogs. I reread the post earlier this week and compared what I had wanted to do with what I had actually done. Some things worked, others didn't, but I think it's worth doing again.

I'd like to start by taking a few minutes to reflect on the past year.

What went well:
  • My blogging has gotten better and I actually have readers. Hi everybody!
  • Jedi and I completed Puppy Kindergarten and the S.T.A.R. Puppy program.
  • I took over the GSD Club newsletter last spring and won giant ribbon from the German Shepherd Dog Club of America for my efforts.
  • I got in the show ring, fulfilling a childhood dream. Even better, we got a blue ribbon and I didn't throw up!
  • The GSD club voted me member of the year and gave me a really nice plaque. That was pretty awesome.
  • I did save some money, though not as much as I would have liked. (And a good portion of it went to car repairs. Stupid master cylinder.) I had envisioned using the money for a trip to Epcot. We went to the Eukanunba dog show instead. (I didn't mind; not so sure about Hubby.)

What wasn't so good:
  • I'm still fat! Last year I stated that I wanted to lose 35 pounds that was only 3 pounds a month. I probably lost 5 total. What's frustrating is that I just cleaned out my closet. If I lost 20 pounds I'd have whole new wardrobe. And some of those clothes are cute too!
  • My organization skills are as good as my dieting skills. My office and dining room are still horribly cluttered. Seriously, we haven't eaten in the dining room in years. See, there is a reason I haven't invited you over for dinner (besides the fact that I don't cook).
  • Last year's new partner at work didn't last a full year. She found more suitable work in the big city and she's much happier. It only took a couple months to find her replacement (yea!) but I don't expect him to be here long. He's already disillusioned with the petty and arbitrary backwardness of our small town. And honestly, he could do better.
  • I fell short on Jedi's training. I'm not sure of what I'm doing and got frustrated. Even worse, I became overwhelmed at work and let it affect my home life. I didn't work with him consistently and when I did I tried to do too much at once and confused him. I suck. So no "one silly trick a month" (I think he learned three total) and no "CGC title by Christmas" like I had planned.

So now it’s time to make those New Year’s Resolutions. And like last year, I am going to make goals for both me and the dogs. I'll try again to make the goals S.M.A.R.T. (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Time-bound), but we see how well that worked last time! Every year I say “I want to lose weight, save money, and declutter the house” so let's try that again. And I'll throw in a blogging goal as well.

My goals for 2014:
  1. I will lose 35 pounds over the next 12 months. (Again, it’s not nearly all I need to lose, but I need to start somewhere. Besides, the goal needs to be realistic and attainable, remember? Three pounds a month sounds doable – as long as I refrain from combating stress with brownies and merlot.)
  2. I will save $500 to use on something fun and frivolous next December. And that frivolous thing will not be a dog show because a) dog shows are not frivolous and b) Hubby isn't as dog show crazy as I am.
  3. I will reorganize the computer room and dining room, having at least one of them usable and presentable by my birthday. (This is harder than it sounds. Remember, I don’t live alone. And a procrastinator.)
  4. I will post a minimum of 15 times on my blog each month. 
My goals for Roxy & Jedi in 2014: 
  1. Jedi will earn his Canine Good Citizen title.
  2. Jedi and I will enter 10 AKC conformation shows. This includes the GSD club shows in April.
  3. Jedi and I will show at the Eukanuba dog show in Orlando in December.
  4. I will teach Jedi one silly trick or a game each month for the next year. It's fun, and I have a plan (more later).
  5. I will continue taking Roxy for a car ride three times a week – even if it's just around the block – just because she loves it so much.
And like last year, I'm posting these goals publicly hoping that it will make me accountable and keep me on track. I'll share my progress here and on Facebook. I'm also giving you, my friends and readers, permission to gently nag. Suggestions on how to accomplish any of these goals are also welcome. See you next year.-- K


 

No comments:

Post a Comment