Yep, RK, Blondie, Red and I are headed to the 2018 Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. I'm so excited! I've saved for 18 months, researched tour companies and negotiated prices (all so not like me at all) and this is what we're getting:
- Four nights at a hotel in Times Square
- A Broadway play on Saturday night
- A hop-on-hop-off tour of NYC all day Sunday
- Tickets to the Monday and Tuesday shows at the Piers
- Reserved seating for the Monday and Tuesday shows at Madison Square Gardens
- Private shuttles to and from the shows
- . . . and plane tickets are included in price!
Last week I read this great article called This Is How To Have A Great Vacation: 6 Secrets Backed By Research by Eric Barker. Secret #1 is to Anticipate. Well, I've been anticipating my brains out! Things like:
- What Broadway show are we going to see? (To be honest, it doesn't really matter. I'm going to see a play on freaking Broadway!)
- What am I going to wear? Apparently Broadway on a Saturday night is damn near formal -- and I'm a jeans and t-shirt girl!
- What about warm clothes? I'm sure February in NYC is going to feel arctic to thin-skinned Floridians.
- I have a list of foods that I have to get while there: a street hot dog, a slice of real NY pizza and bagel.
- I've looked at hop-on-hop-off bus tours. I don't know which one we'll get, but they all seem similar. So, the big question: which locations are a must see?
- I've already looked up the judging schedule. GSDs are going to be judged Monday at the Piers, with the herding group being judged at Madison Square Gardens on Monday night. (I've already looked up the breed and the group judges too!) I anticipate Monday will be a long day.
- Will a German shepherd make it to Best in Show again this year? Rumor took the herding group in 2016 and 2017, actually winning BIS this year. Is it too much to ask to see a GSD take the top spot again? (Probably, but I'm asking anyway!)
- Will I be on TV? I told you we have preferred seating so it's a possibility.
- And Shutterfly has a New York template for picture books, just in case I want to organize all my photos. (You know I do.)
P.S. Does anybody have suggestions for places to go or things to eat in NYC?